Yuan He, Ph.D.,is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology for the Wayne State University School of Medicine. Dr. He earned his Ph.D. in Cell and Developmental Biology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 2011. His postdoctoral training was in the laboratory of Dr. Gabriel Núñez in the Department of Pathology and Immunology Program at the University of Michigan. Dr. He joined the faculty of Wayne State University School of Medicine in 2017. His research focus is on innate immunity. Dr. He is a recipient of the two-year NIH Research Career Development Award K22 (July 2017-July 2019).
Position TitleAssistant Professor
- • He Y., Hara H., and Núñez G. Mechanism and regulation of NLRP3 inflammasome activation. Trends Biochem Sci. 2016 41 (12): 1012-1021.
- He Y., Zeng M., Y., Yang D., Motro B., and Núñez G. Nek7 is an essential mediator of NLRP3 activation downstream of potassium efflux. Nature. 2016 Feb 18; 530(7590):354-7
- Yang D., He Y., Muñoz-Planillo R., Liu Q. and Núñez G. Caspase-11 Requires the Pannexin-1 Channel and the Purinergic P2X7 Pore to Mediate Pyroptosis and Endotoxic Shock. Immunity. 2015 43(5) 923–932.
- Suzuki S, Franchi L, He Y, Munoz-Planillo R, Mimuro H, et al.. ShigellaType III Secretion Protein MxiI Is Recognized by Naip2 to Induce Nlrc4 Inflammasome Activation Independently of Pkcd. PLoS Pathog 2014 10(2): e1003926. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1003926
- Byrne M., Kimura Y., Kapoor A., He Y., Mattam K., Hasan K., Olson L., Wang F., Kenis P., Rao C.V. Oscillatory Behavior of Neutrophils Under Opposing Chemoattractant Gradients Supports a Winner-Take-All Mechanism. PLoS One., 2014 Jan 21;9(1):e85726
- He Y, Varadarajan S, Muñoz-Planillo R, Burberry A, Nakamura Y and Núñez G. 3,4-Methylenedioxy-β-nitrostyrene inhibits NLRP3 inflammasome activation by blocking assembly of the inflammasome. J Biol Chem. 2014 Jan 10;289(2):1142-50.
- He, Y., Li, D., Cook, S., Yoon, M., Kapoor, A., Rao, C. V., Kenis, P., Chen, J. and Wang, F. Mammalian Target of Rapamycin and Rictor control neutrophil chemotaxis by regulating Rac/Cdc42 activity and actin polymerization. Mol Biol Cell. 2013 Nov;24(21):3369-80.
- He, Y., Franchi, L., Núñez, G. The Protein Kinase PKR is Critical for LPS-Induced iNOS Production, but Dispensable for Inflammasome Activation in Macrophages. Eur J Immunol. 2013 May;43(5):1147-52.
- He, Y., Franchi, L., Núñez, G. TLR Agonists Stimulate Nlrp3-Dependent IL-1β Production Independently of the Purinergic P2X7 Receptor in Dendritic Cells and In Vivo. J Immunol. 2013 Jan 1;190 (1):334-9.
- He, Y., Kapoor, A., Cook, S., Liu, S., Xiang, Y., Rao, C. V., Kenis, P., and Wang, F. The non-receptor tyrosine kinase Lyn controls neutrophil adhesion by recruiting the CrkL/C3G complex to and activating Rap1 at the leading edge. J Cell Science, 2011 124, 2153-2164.
- Shin, M.E., He, Y., Li, D., Chowdhury, F., Collin, O., Na, S., Pei, S., de Lanerolle, P., Schwartz, M.A., Wang, N., and Wang, F. Spatiotemporal organization, regulation and functions of tractions during neutrophil chemotaxis. Blood, 2010 116, 3297-310.