Thomas Holland, Ph.D.
Thomas Holland, Ph.D.
Thomas C. Holland, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology. Dr. Holland received a Ph.D. in Biophysics from the Pennsylvania State University in 1978. He was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Michigan (1978-1984). Dr. Holland joined the Department of Immunology and Microbiology in 1984 and was promoted to Associate Professor in 1993.
Dr. Holland’s current research focuses on the role of the APOBEC3 family of cytidine deaminases in innate antiviral defenses against nuclear replicating DNA viruses, particularly Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 (HSV-1). Other research interests include the functions and immunological properties of the HSV-1 glycoproteins, the potential role of adenovirus 36 in obesity, and, in collaboration with the Department of Chemical Engineering, the production of biofuel precursors by algae.
Office Location6254 Scott Hall
Position TitleAssociate Professor
- Modem, S., Badri, K.R., Holland, T.C., and Reddy, T.R. Sam68 is absolutely required for Rev function and HIV-1 production. Nuc. Acids Res. 33:873-879 (2005).
- Rathod, MA, Vangipuram, SD, Krishnan, V, Heydari, AR, Holland, TC, and Dhurandhar, NV. Viral mRNA expression but not DNA replication is required for the lipogenic effect of human adenovirus Ad36 in preadipocytes. Intl. J. Obes. 31:78-86 (2007).
- Pinnoji, RC, Bedadala, GR, George, B, Holland, TC, Hill, JM, Hsia, SC., Repressor element-1 silencing transcription factor/neuronal restrictive silencer factor (REST/NRSF) can regulate HSV-1 immediate-early transcription via histone modification. Virol. J. 4:56 (2007).
- Rogers, PM, Fusinski, KA, Rathod, MA, Loiler, SA, Pasarica, M, Shaw, MK, Kilroy, G, Sutton, GM, McAllister, EJ, Mashtalir, N, Gimble, JM, Holland, TC, Dhurandhar, NV. Human adenovirus Ad-36 induces adipogenesis via its E4 orf-1 gene. Int J Obes (Lond). 32:397-406 (2008).
- Chen M, Tang H, Ma H, Holland TC, Ng KY, Salley SO. Effect of nutrients on growth and lipid accumulation in the green algae Dunaliella tertiolecta. Bioresource Technology 102(2):1649-55 (2011).
- Mertiri T, Chen M, Holland T, and Basu AS. Optical microplates for photonic high throughput screening of algal photosynthesis and biofuel production. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2011:482-5 (2011).
- Chen M, Mertiri T, Holland T, and Basu AS. Optical microplates for high-throughput screening of photosynthesis in lipid-producing algae. Lab Chip. 12(20):3870-4 (2012).
- Shalhout S, Haddad D, Sosin A, Holland TC, Al-Katib A, Martin A, Bhagwat AS. Genomic uracil homeostasis during normal B cell maturation and loss of this balance during B cell cancer development. Mol. Cell. Biol. 34:4019-32 (2014).
- Pellett, P.E., S. Mitra, and T. Holland. Basics of Virology. In Virus Infections of the Nervous System, 2nd ed. A. Tselis, J. Booss et al. eds. Handbook of Clinical Neurology. 123:45-66 (2014)
- Adenoviruses and obesity
- Antiviral effects of host cytidine deaminases